Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kimchi Dumplings

I made kimchi dumplings today with the kimchi I made earlier this month! This was concocted the way I always make things...I threw everything I had on hand and thought would be nice together. It yielded 25 dumplings.
 For this recipe I used:
  • 1/2 cup of kimchi (my home made kimchi was very salty so I didn't add any salt to mine.)
  • Roughly 450 grams of ground pork
  • Dumpling skins
  • 1 carrot
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Minced onion 
  • sprinkling of white pepper
  • About a table spoon of sesame oil

Once all the ingredients were assembled I mixed it all together...


Put about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mixture into the dumpling wrappers and used my mom's ancient Chinese crumpling technique. A super nifty friend helped me make a few of them, they turned out beautifully too.  

Steamed them for 15-20 minutes, and pan fried them

This is the end result and I also made a semi-sweet dipping sauce with soy sauce, vinegar (I'm partial to using balsamic now, but at home in CO I use rice vinegar), sesame oil, garlic, ginger, chili oil and a teaspoon of sugar.

This isn't how I normally make my dumplings but this is how I made kimchi dumplings today. Normally I use a mixture of nappa cabbage and kimchi but I didn't go to the store today...But they turned out rather good. I wish there was more veg in it though. Often times I omit the onion and put in about a teaspoon of ginger and green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment